14th August 2017 to 15th December 2017
This module gives an introduction to New Product (New Service) Development techniques and tools commonly used by innovative companies that successfully earn a significant proportion of their revenues from recently launched new products or services. Topics covered include: NPD processes and Organisations, Opportunity Identification, Product Planning, New Product Ideas – End User Needs, Product Specifications, Product Concept Generation, Concept Selection and Testing, Product Architecture and Industrial Design, DFE, DFM, Prototyping & Robust Product Design.
1. To understand the concepts of new product development (NPD) and New Service Development (NSD)
2. To understand the management processes commonly employed to design and develop new products and services
3. To gain a knowledge of each stage of the NPD process within an organisation from ideation, through to commercialisation
4. To provide an overview of the product development organisation and the environment in which new products are developed
5. To understand NPD trends and tools used by Product Developers
6. To gain an understanding of the critical success factors in the NPD process